40+ TikTok Stats Digital Marketers Need To Know
TikTok has more than established itself as the latest popular social craze.
In fact, the short video sharing social network has emerged as a major player in the consumer’s path to purchase, particularly to product discovery.
Are you looking for a commercial feasibility study for TikTok as part of your digital marketing mix?
You’ll need some data-backed logic to justify the investment.
Check out cool TikTok stats and facts that you can use to get your marketing team or a client on board.
TikTok user base is huge…
And it’s still growing.
- TikTok is over 100,000,000 Monthly Active Users, as of September 2021.
- TikTok was it #1 downloaded app both worldwide and in the United States in 2021.
- TikTok has it now More GenZ users of Instagram and is expected to overtake Snapchat in 2023.
- UK users spend the most time on the platform on average 27.3 hours a monthWhile US users spend 25.6 hours on TikToking and Canadians 22.6 hours.
Who uses TikTok?
Beyond demographics, understanding the mindset of TikTok users can help determine who your potential audience might be and what content will best resonate with them.
Here are some interesting things we know about TikTok users and what they want:
- 64% of global users say they can be their true selves on TikTok.
- 53% of users worldwide say they trust others to be themselves on TikTok.
- 56% of TikTok users say they post videos to the platform that they wouldn’t post anywhere else.
- 59% of global users, on average, say they feel a sense of community when they’re on TikTok.
- 70% of global users say TikTok is a platform they would recommend to others.
- 78% Many users agree that the best brands on TikTok are the ones that share their ideas and work with users.
- 44% Daily TikTok users want their branded content to be fun and interesting.
TikTok attracts an audience from other types of media
TikTok usage affects media consumption in other channels and platforms, as these facts show:
- 35% of TikTok users say they have spent less time watching TV or video content since they started using TikTok.
- 41% of Gen Z users say they listen to podcasts less since joining TikTok, and 33% say they watch less TV.
- 79% of global TikTok users say the content on TikTok is unique or different, and 68% find advertising content unique or different from any competitive platform.
- 73% of global users say they feel a deeper connection to the brands they interact with on TikTok, compared to other platforms.
If you are not connecting with the public on TikTok, you may be missing out on valuable opportunities to be found.
TikTok users give the content their undivided attention
TikTok users tend to be fully involved and tune in to the rest of the world when they use the platform.
- 46% of users interacting with TikTok content without any other distractions.
- 84% of TikTok users say they come across content they can link to on the platform.
- 77% of users worldwide say they have read comments on posts and videos on TikTok.
- 10.85 minutes: average user session duration, which makes TikTok the most attractive social media app.
How will you make the most of these moments you have to make an impression? Check out TikTok marketing best practices and tips to get you started.
TikTok users show great commercial intent
Appearing in front of a large audience can be fun but it’s pointless from a marketing perspective unless those people are open to becoming clients.
This is another place where TikTok excels.
- 92% Many users say that after watching TikTok, they take actions like liking content, sharing it with friends, following a brand, or searching for or buying a product.
- 60% of global TikTok users say they follow brands on TikTok.
- 50% of Gen Z users say they follow the creator after watching TikToks.
- 52% of TikTok users worldwide say they search for products or shop on the platform.
- 67% TikTokers say the content has inspired them to shop even when they aren’t looking to do so.
- 39% of users say “lifting their spirits” is a major factor in their purchasing decisions on TikTok.
- Consumer spending on TikTok has increased by 77% in 2021.
How do users spend their individual time on TikTok
TikTok users crave to be entertained, educated, and inspired by the content they share. Here’s how they spend their time, according to TikTok Marketing Science Global’Study Time Well Spent by Kantar:
- 71% watch videos on TikTok.
- 69% use TikTok to find other creators to follow.
- 60% use TikTok to find new recipes and DIY projects.
- 59% use TikTok to learn about current events and trends.
TikTok is also social
TikTok is a great place for families and friends to co-create and discover new trends together, too. quintal research I found this is what users do when they enjoy TikToks together:
- 67% share videos.
- 66% participate in TikTok hashtag challenges with family and friends.
- 65% participate in trends and pranks.
- 61% text their friends.
- 57% use TikTok to learn new dance moves.
- 56% are picturing new TikToks.
- 55% create original content.
TikTok ads stats
Is TikTok a good place to monetize your social ad budget? Consider these facts:
- The average ROAS for a TikTok campaign was 2X Average campaign performance in commissioned studies.
- Campaigns in the United States saw a 14% higher Paid media ROAS vs. all digital media measured in a recent Nielsen Media Mix model meta-analysis.
- Ads created for TikTok have been realized in partnership with creators 65% higher 2-second viewing rates, according to first-party meta-analysis and third-party research.
- Calls-to-action (CTAs) in TikTok text showed a file save 152% lift In converting compared to those that don’t give viewers a clear next step to take.
- Product use and comedy a 24% An increase in TikTok ads seen to the end.
- Ad call was 24% higher For TikTok branded content created in collaboration with the creators in the TikTok study.
- 312% lift In conversion: The result of shooting TikTok videos at 720p or higher, compared to lower-resolution ones.
Many users appear to be satisfied with the advertising experience offered in TikTok, with 45% of “heavy” users saying that advertising blends in with other content.
You can learn more about TikTok search ads (currently in beta) here.
TikTok offers a free 4-part course to help advertisers get the most out of their investment in the platform, too.
Matt Southern takes a look at his TikTok Tactics course and shares best practices for advertising on TikTok here.
TikTok is here to stay and is worth at least taking a look at as part of your marketing mix.
It’s not a fad, and the audience isn’t limited to one narrow group or demographic. TikTok has gone mainstream, and the people who use it are showing a good level of commercial intent.
TikTok is a two-way channel where users expect conversation and don’t like being “sold”.
Users are looking to be educated, entertained and engaged. Marketers who can achieve this will find a highly motivated audience open to discovering products, shopping, and sharing recommendations with family and friends.
Want to know more?
- 8 Advantages and Benefits of TikTok Power for Digital Marketers
- How to use TikTok for B2B marketing and who’s doing it right
- Social Media Marketing: A Complete Strategy Guide
Featured image: Shutterstock / Chaay_Tee