Instagram Update Could Impact Reach For Some Accounts
Instagram is expanding on a feature that filters out “sensitive” content, which has the potential to affect the reach of some accounts.
Utilization Control sensitive content Within the settings menu, users can choose how much or how much sensitive content they see via search, reels, accounts you may follow, hashtag pages, and recommendations in the feed.
Sensitive content control was originally introduced in July 2021, though it only applied to the Explore feed
If you post content that Instagram considers “sensitive,” your posts may see less reach if enough people start using the Sensitive Content Control.
Here’s more on how the feature works and what type of content is affected.
Content filters control content that could impact community safety
Instagram defines sensitive content as “posts that don’t necessarily break our rules, but have the potential to be upsetting to some people.”
This specifically includes:
- Content that may depict violence, including people fighting.
- Content that may be sexually explicit or suggestive, such as pictures of people in transparent clothing.
- Content that promotes the use of certain controlled products, including tobacco products or e-cigarettes, adult products and services, or pharmaceutical drugs.
- Content that may promote or depict cosmetic procedures.
- Content that may attempt to sell products or services based on health-related claims, for example, a supplement to aid weight loss.
Content control options
There are three options available to control sensitive content on Instagram.
The options are:
- Basic: This is the default state, which limits some content.
- more: Allows users to subscribe to more sensitive content.
- less: Restricts sensitive content to a greater extent than the default case.
The More option is not available to users under the age of 18.
Instagram Tools is intended to allow users to customize the experience
This update to Sensitive Content Control is the latest addition to a series of tools offered by the social media platform that allow users to shape their Instagram experience.
Other features include Suspension controlAnd restrictionAnd block And silent. Instagram hopes to improve and expand these tools over time.
To change control of sensitive content, follow these steps:
- Click “Settings” from your profile page.
- Click on “Account” and then “Control Sensitive Content”
- Select the level of content you wish to apply.
- Click Confirm.
Featured image: Screenshot from about.instagram.com/blog/, June 2022.