Are you looking for the opportunity to flex your writing and editing muscles in a 100% remote role with a leading B2B publisher in the search space?
The Search Engine Journal is an excellent place to share your experience and continue to grow your knowledge of SEO as well.
We’ve covered the search industry and the world of digital marketing since 2003 with in-depth, actionable guides, tips, trends, and insights—plus breaking news and analysis from the Search Engine Journal team and hundreds of industry professionals.
We serve 3 million page views per month, 1.7 million unique visitors, and half a million social media followers.
And we’re looking for a skilled and professional copy editor with a high level of SEO and digital marketing knowledge to help make our expert content shine.
Copy editors are an integral part of the editorial team, handling every piece of content with a focus on editorial best practices and ensuring the best possible experience for readers.
You will work closely with our writers, editors, expert authors and other team members on a variety of content formats throughout our publishing process.
Our environment is a very collaborative one where emotional intelligence, a positive attitude and the ability to receive and deal with constructive feedback is essential.
Skills and qualifications
- 3+ years of copy-editing experience as part of a publishing house or media organization’s editorial team.
- Strong knowledge of AP style.
- Meticulous attention to detail and proven copy editing skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
- A team player with the ability to multi-task and excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English, both written and verbal.
- Familiarity with project management and remote collaboration tools such as Slack, Google Drive and Asana.
- Basic HTML skills and experience using WordPress CMS preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Marketing, or Communications (or equivalent experience).
- SEO or digital marketing experience.
- Strong organizational skills to manage workflow, multi-task and meet deadlines.
Copy Editor Responsibilities
- Copy edit/correct news, media articles, e-books, white papers, and reports.
- Use expertise with style guides and language syntax to fix inconsistencies and errors in grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Information Validate information such as names, dates, and statistics.
- Check text for style, readability, and compliance with editorial policies.
- Work with editors and other writers to rewrite text to improve clarity and readability.
- Focus on both the details and the big picture – fixing the smallest overlooked errors while respecting the overall theme and purpose of the content.
- Provide guidance and feedback to writers when needed to ensure final content aligns with SEJ’s style and mission.
- Ensure that all formatting in the articles for the site is correct.
- Write captions for images, meta descriptions, alt text, etc.
- Contribute to the completion of additional tasks assigned to the weekly issues and special issues.
Why work at SEJ?
This is a full time remote position. You’ll work from home, your own workspace, and Airbnb – wherever you want.
We manage by execution or by goals. As long as you get a lot of work done, we’re happy to camp.
Work-life balance is essential for all of us. If you routinely work more than 45 hours, you’ll have a friendly chat. We want you to work at 100% energy, which means you need to rest.
There are great opportunities for career growth with SEJ, because we don’t try to be a small company. We encourage quickly once talent is identified. It doesn’t matter what your credentials are – it’s your commitment, attitude and quality of work that forges your path.
We are also vehemently anti-BS. Anyone in the company can (and is expected to) tell the CEO when she’s wrong. There are no bureaucratic rules that get in the way of getting the job done.
This means no micromanagement either. Once you’ve practiced and proven that you know your stuff, we don’t take it very well.
In fact, if you need outside management to stay on task and motivated, we’re probably not the place for you.
We don’t work through extreme pressure or unreasonable top-down deadlines. Everyone wants you to be successful; Domestic politics at least here.
We’re serious when we say no toxic people allowed. Imagine never having to interact with toxic people at work – how nice would that be?
We will invest in your training and career development. We want you and everyone else to keep getting better.
You will learn new things all the time and we strongly encourage you to invest time each day to learn and improve your system/work process, and generally try to make your life easier.
benefit? Send your resume, portfolio, and references to email@example.com with “Copy Editor Application” in the subject line.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Image source: Shutterstock / Tetiana Yurchenko